My ability to do so has been greatly increased with the cookbook "Cooking More With Less." The book has all kinds of recipes that you can tweak, make vegetarian, substitute, etc...lots of good ideas to boot.
Often times I'll take pasta and left over veggies and make a casserole or a pasta dish.
Here is a sampling of this weekends "put together":
- Whole wheat hamburger buns with pizza sauce and mozzarella
- Leftover pizza, chicken pot pie, apple pie, and black bean dip and blue chips
- Roll out pie crust with lunch meat and sliced cheese baked Stromboli style.
- Dried Kidney Beans with Brown Rice, topped with canned rotel (heated up) cheese and sour cream.
- Tortilla chips, lettuce, chopped onions, kidney beans, salsa, sour cream, and cheese
- Jello and Pudding (instant)
- Drinks: Crystal Light, Water, Sweet Decaf Tea, Juice with Soda water
- Oatmeal with pecans
- Plain yogurt with plain nuts
This is actually a very satisfying and nurturing thing for me to do. It reminds me of my grandparents who were raised during the Depression and made do with what they had.