Friday, January 15, 2010

Frugality- Health: Dogs and Cats


It's been a while since I have posted due to the opening of my new business. Blessedly my business was successful and I am coming to a point of completion of a large project. Many ideas and thoughts have been running through my head that I want to share, and I feel the need to purge them. Here are some current thoughts on "Frugality, Consumerism, and the Environment."

1. Dog Food - Cat Food: It occurred to me as I was dealing with some health issues with my dogs that "Store bought Dog Food" is a man-made invention, and dogs weren't born to eat dog food! So though we do buy organic, no by product-dog/cat food we use very little, because we supplement with real food. Dogs and cats can safely eat rice,meat,veggies, and some fruits (no raisins, grapes, or chocolate please). We eat a diet based primarily of these foods. So anytime I make veggies,meat, or rice I cook up the scraps or leftovers for the animals. We have experienced no digestive problems. The vet recommends chicken and rice for tummy aches.

Here are a few examples:

Chicken and brown rice
Apples and a little peanut butter
Natural unflavored Yogurt
Corn,peas,carrots, veggie stock
Meat Scraps from my Dad's Christmas Steaks (I do not give my dogs the bones, as my dogs are small, and I lost a dog to chocking on pork chop bones when I was a child).

What don't we give our animals:
Processed food, dairy (except a little cheese and a little unflavored yogurt), eggs, caffeine (though Hershel loves to steal coffee), candy, onions(cause anemia in dogs),grapes, raisins,or citrus. High fat processed meats like Hot Dogs,no processed grains such as bread, pastries,etc.

Save a lot of money and don't throw those good scraps out.

Namaste,
Courtney

No comments: