Thursday, April 26, 2007

Voluntary Simplicity

Today I taught a morning yoga class and then led a course on Voluntary Simplicity.
I am a facilitator by no means an expert. Today's topic was " Do you have the time?'.
For an hour we went back and forth about choosing whats important to us and taking time to enjoy the process. I am wrapping it up and finishing the class and without a thought I said " Well we only have thirty seconds left". As soon as I said it I realized how crazy it sounded.Of course laughter erupted from the sweet lady next to me as she caught the irony in my words. The course makes me stop and think about the choices I make and see them for what they are. Only I can make those choices. We have more control over our lives than we think. I think the hardest part sometimes is looking at your life and taking the responsibility for where we find ourselves.
I chose to go to lunch and do errands with a friend today. This is my segway for the three tips:

1. Run errands in close proximity to one another. Avoid making excess trips all over town. A little planning saves gas and carbon emissions. If you can combine errands with a friend.

2. Use a reusable shopping bag for all errands. I have collected tons of these. They are easier to fill up and carry. This saves trees, keeps plastic bags out of our landfills, and protects wildlife from getting harmed by the bags.

3. Spend time with friends everyweek who have common interest in the enviroment. Community is so important to your mental health. Being able to discuss your concerns and solutions is a powerful tool to helping you feel like your not alone in your plight.

Namaste'
Courtney

No comments: